Improvement of food quality (safety, flavor, color, texture, and nutritional value) are major objectives of the food scientist. You will be prepared to be a leader in the development of new, wholesome, nutritious, and safe food products. In the Food Science program from Rutgers University you will be solving practical problems related to the production and safety of food and food ingredients.
Food Science is a coherent and systematic body of knowledge and understanding of the nature and composition of food materials, and their behavior under the various conditions to which they may be subject. Food Technology is the application of food science to practical treatment of food materials so as to convert them into food products of the kind, quality and stability, and so packaged and distributed as to meet the needs of consumers for safe, wholesome, nutritious and attractive foods. A Food Scientist studies the physical, chemical, and biological make-up of food and develops ways using the latest advances in science and technology to process, preserve, and package food according to the specifications of the food industry and the regulations of government.
Career Opportunities for Majors in Food Science
- Food & Drug Inspector
- Plant Manager
- Food Buyer
- Plant Sanitation Specialist
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Science of food
- Food and health
- Food as medicine
- Foods: from field to table
- Principles of food science
- Principles of food science- lab
- Food processing technologies
- Food process engineering
- Food analysis
- Current issues in food science & food laws
- Sensory evaluation of foods
- Food chemistry with lab
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesFood Sciences View 227 other Masters in Food Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online Application for Undergraduate Admission
- Nonrefundable $70 application fee, payable online by credit card
- Final official high school transcript showing all courses with final grades in grades 9-12:Transcripts must show a date of graduation; or
- GED or equivalency diploma holders must submit test results or equivalent as well as transcripts from any high school attended
- College transcripts if you took any college courses at a two- or four-year college
- SAT or ACT scores (with writing) only if you graduated from high school less than two years ago and will not have at least 12 college credits completed by the application due date
International32574 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16287 USD per semester and a duration of 48 months.
National32574 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16287 USD per semester and a duration of 48 months.
In-State13746 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6873 USD per semester and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.