Art - Art History students at Furman University learn how to read images, place them in their historical context, and analyze how meaning is made through visual texts. We foster the study of art chronologically, globally, and thematically—promoting flexibility in approach and method.
We emphasize experiential opportunities for Art History students, facilitating independent learning and internships with regional and national collections. With local partners, many courses include curatorial and museum-studies components, offering an insight into potential career trajectories. Many courses are open to students with few pre-requisites, allowing students to complement their major coursework with training in the interpretation of art, architecture, and visual culture. Indeed, the skills of observation, analysis, and communication that form the basis of every Art History class are relevant well beyond the study of art.
Students are also encouraged to spend a semester abroad in order to immerse themselves in the art and architecture of another culture. Furman’s study away programs are located throughout Europe, the Americas, the Middle East, and Asia.
Our alumni are highly sought-after in all fields of art, from graphic design to art history.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- History of Western Art I
- History of Western Art II
- Art Criticism
- Visual Language I
- Visual Language II
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History View 838 other Masters in Art History in United States
- Choose an application plan
- All students may complete and submit the Common Application online. There is a $50 application fee
- Submit your school report
- Submit your high school transcript - A strong college preparatory course of study is essential. At minimum, it must include four years of English, algebra I and II, geometry, three years of social studies, at least three years of natural sciences, and two years of the same foreign language
- Participate in an Optional Interview
- Submit standardized test scores (optional) - The Admission Committee believes that your potential for success cannot be determined solely by standardized test scores
- Schedule an interview if you are home-schooled (only for national students)
International50464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 50464 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National50464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 50464 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.