Zoology is the study of animals, from the simplest sponges to the most advanced arthropods, mollusks and vertebrates. Completion of the zoology major will provide the proper underlying preparation for post-graduate education (e.g., veterinary medicine, medicine, dentistry, optometry or graduate school), as well as for entry-level jobs across a range of animal-related occupations.
A BA or BS in zoology is a liberal arts degree, and graduates may pursue careers for which a liberal education is the prerequisite. Entry level positions would also be open in the sciences, life sciences and biology. For instance, a student with a zoology major would be qualified for a position as a research assistant, technician, or staff member in a research laboratory or in a private company dealing with biological supplies or services.
For positions at a more advanced level, advanced training at the professional or graduate level is usually necessary.
Careers that deal with animals would likely be of particular interest to those who major in zoology. These would include working in a zoo or with federal, state and local agencies, environmental protection, or the park service. Major universities and contract research organizations also hire entry-level technicians to staff their research laboratories. Positions with private consulting firms and nonprofit organizations are also open to zoology majors, and, depending on a student’s interests and background, might include such things as research or writing environmental impact statements.
Zoology students may also intend to pursue a professional degree in medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, an allied field or in environmental law. With proper selection of courses, the necessary preparation for these professional programs can usually be satisfied in the major.
Zoology students who plan to teach in the life sciences at the middle-school or high-school level may obtain a master’s degree in education with one year of graduate work.
A Zoology major from The Ohio State University provides a good general background in the biological sciences, and thus is excellent preparation for any student wishing to pursue an advanced degree. Students completing a graduate degree in zoology often pursue jobs as teachers in colleges and universities, and such positions provide opportunities for continuing independent research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Zoology requirements cover both supportive courses in biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics and statistics, as well as core requirements within the major itself. Students choose one of two possible degrees:
- Bachelor of Science: Requirements include two semesters of introductory biology, two semesters of general chemistry, a semester of organic chemistry, two semesters of introductory physics, a semester of calculus and a semester of statistics.
- Bachelor of Arts: Requirements are similar to the BS degree, except that the introductory physics courses and statistics course may be at a lower level and the math requirement is reduced to college algebra.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnimal Sciences View 218 other Masters in Animal Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.