Speech and hearing science is the study of normal functioning and disorders of the auditory system, the speech mechanism and language processing. It is a diverse field with connections to a number of other disciplines, including anatomy, physiology, psychology, linguistics, medicine and education.
Hearing, language and speech scientists are found primarily in universities, research institutions, government agencies and industry.
Speech-language pathologists and audiologists are health professionals who work closely with teachers, physicians, psychologists, social workers, rehabilitation counselors and other members of an interdisciplinary team, but they are autonomous and do not work under direct medical supervision. They provide professional services in a wide range of facilities, including public and private schools, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, nursing care facilities, community and university clinics, private practice offices, state and local health departments, home care, adult day care centers, centers for the developmentally disabled, research laboratories, and industries.
Career opportunities for graduates in Speech and Hearing Science program from The Ohio State University are comparable to those for students with undergraduate degrees in related fields such as psychology, sociology, linguistics or other liberal arts.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Students take nine core courses in speech and hearing science and an additional two 5000-level courses approved by a speech and hearing science advisor.
- Students can take the American Sign Language series to fulfill the college requirement that students obtain foreign language proficiency. However, bilingual clinicians fluent in Spanish are also in demand.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences Linguistics View 871 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.