Students of the Modern Greek program from The Ohio State University should begin considering and planning for a study abroad program as soon as they decide to major in modern Greek. Students interested in studying abroad during their junior or senior year can get specific information about various programs from their advisor in the Department of Classics.
The Department of Classics encourages participation in study abroad programs such as the College Year in Athens. The Department of Classics also offers courses that include short-term study abroad programs to Greece.
Modern Greek is applicable in a variety of settings in the United States and abroad. Mastery of modern Greek allows students to consider careers in fields such as education, government, international trade, banking, print or electronic media, or tourism.
Careers in which modern Greek is the primary emphasis include teaching modern Greek at all levels; interpreting and translating for the United Nations, government, or for private and public organizations; and a variety of positions in the travel and tourism industry at home or abroad, such as flight attendant, travel agent and tour guide.
Careers in which proficiency in modern Greek is a good secondary tool include banking and finance, business, sales, export purchasing, foreign market analysis, journalism, foreign correspondence, science and research, library science, hotel management, publishing, radio broadcasting, and teaching English to Greek speakers.
Ohio State graduates with modern Greek degrees have chosen jobs such as tax auditor with the Internal Revenue Service, marketing director at Ohio Bank and Savings and trade specialist with the Ohio Department of Development.
Students can explore career options by utilizing Career Connection as well as the Arts and Sciences Career Services Office. Providing complimentary services, Career Connection focuses on helping students establish a career direction, while Career Services assists students with finding internships—experiences that are essential to testing out the suitability of career fields they are considering.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Elementary Modern Greek
- Modern Greek 1102 Intermediate Modern Greek
- Modern Greek 4001 Advanced Modern Greek
- Modern Greek 2000 Athens: The Modern City
- Modern Greek 2100 Greece and Beyond: The Crossing of Borders Through Film
- Modern Greek 2367 Reading and Writing About Issues in Greek-American Society and Culture
- Culture of Contemporary Greece
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Linguistics View 1950 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.