Materials scientists and engineers are experts in the performance, specification and manufacture of metals, ceramics, semiconductors, plastics and composites. They must have broad knowledge of a variety of scientific and engineering fields to be competitive.
The Materials Science and Engineering program at The Ohio State University enjoys an international reputation and places its graduates in every facet of industry and academia. Students in MSE may focus on ceramics, metallurgy, biomaterials, polymers, electronic materials and manufacturing.
The career opportunities for materials scientists and engineering graduates are outstanding. Recent statistics have shown that graduates are heavily recruited by both small and large companies for positions all over the United States and the world. These jobs include research, development, design of materials and structures, manufacturing, marketing, and many others. In addition, the average starting salaries have consistently been as high as or higher than those in most other engineering professions. Materials scientists and engineers can find employment in many of the following industries: aerospace, appliances, automotive, communication, computers, construction, electronics, equipment, government laboratories, nuclear, oil and gas, power generation, shipbuilding, universities and others.
Some employers of materials science and engineering graduates include ArcelorMittal, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., Honda, Lincoln Electric Co., Lockheed Martin, Owens Corning, Swagelok Co., and TimkenSteel Corp.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Engineering Math
- Fundamentals of Engineering
- Mechanics, Thermal Physics, Waves
- General Chemistry
- Intro to Ohio State & Engineering
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering View 194 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.