Students of the Astronomy and Astrophysics program at The Ohio State University should be ready to start their calculus and physics courses as soon as they begin college. This means that their high school mathematics should go up to and include analytical geometry and trigonometry, and their high school science courses should include physics and chemistry. Experience with computers is also very helpful.
- Provide students with the opportunity to master the fundamental physics at the heart of modern astrophysics: classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics and thermodynamics
- Help students to develop problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze physical systems within the framework of theoretical physics
- Provide students with an overview of research topics in contemporary astronomy
- Provide students with a basic mastery of data analysis and statistics
- Teach students to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Provide students with the opportunity to develop a basic knowledge of and facility with computing
Graduates may find opportunities to teach at the high school level. They may also find employment at observatories, planetariums, science museums and in industry where they may assist in computational and observational research programs or participate in public education programs.
A BS in astronomy and astrophysics is also excellent preparation for graduate study in astronomy and in some other physical sciences. Most professional astronomers have faculty positions at universities and colleges or are affiliated with universities and colleges through observatories and laboratories. For these astronomers, teaching and research are the major areas of activity. A PhD is generally required for faculty positions. Some professional astronomers are employed by the federal government directly (e.g., NASA) or by federally supported national observatories and laboratories (e.g., the National Optical Astronomy Observatories and the National Radio Astronomy Observatory). Others find employment in the aerospace industry or with companies involved in computation or image processing. A PhD in astronomy or physics is also generally required for these positions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Modern astronomy is essentially physics applied to the study of celestial objects. Therefore, the astronomy and astrophysics major curriculum looks very much like the physics major curriculum, although certain advanced physics courses and laboratories are not included for an astronomy and astrophysics degree.
- In addition, students who major in astronomy and astrophysics are required to take an introductory sequence in astrophysics plus an advanced course and an observational techniques and data analysis course.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesAstronomy & Space Sciences View 175 other Masters in Astronomy & Space Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.