The Geography program at South Dakota State University is designed to provide general education as well as a concentration in the major field of study, with recommended specializations and associated courses in physical geography, human geography and technical geography.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates with a major in Geography will:
- Demonstrate foundational and specialized knowledge in both the physical and human sciences and their interconnectedness at local, regional, and global scales. (Cross-curricular Skill: Information Literacy)
- Interpret the ethical consequences of global issues concerning the environment to strengthen commitment to local, national, and global citizenship. (Cross-curricular Skill: Ethical Reasoning)
- Demonstrate proficiency in the application of appropriate geographical technologies and techniques to address issues in the physical and/or human sciences.
- Communicate geographic ideas clearly and effectively (e.g., maps, writing, oral presentations, posters, photos, flowcharts, tables, graphs, and illustrations).
- Apply observations from laboratory and/or field experiences to analyze problems and offer solutions. (Cross-curricular Skill: Inquiry and Analysis; Problem Solving)
- Demonstrate the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and synthesize information about people, places, and environments in a spatial-temporal context. (Cross-curricular Skill: Information Literacy; Problem Solving)
- Explore complex local, regional, and global issues using a geographical perspective to formulate questions and draw informed conclusions that are based on critical scientific analysis and interpretation of information. (Cross-curricular Skill: Inquiry and Analysis)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Physical Geography: Weather and Climate and Lab
- Physical Geography: Natural Landscapes and Lab
- Introduction to Human Geography
- World Regional Geography
- Quantitative Research Methods in Geography
- Cartography and Lab
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
- International students are eligible to participate in our fully online programs but must do so outside the U.S. due to visa regulations. In addition, students should apply at least 6 months before the application deadline for our fully online programs.
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 473 other Masters in Geography in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Completed online application Note: New and transferring international (F-1 visa) undergraduate students should be at least 17 years of age by the time they begin their studies at SDSU.
- Grade Point Average (GPA)
New undergraduate students should have the equivalent of a 2.6 GPA on a 4.0 scale in the US
Transfer students who have completed 30 or more credits at another US college or university should have a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Academic Records
- English Language Proficiency
- All new undergraduate students (not transfer students) are required to provide proof of their English language proficiency. Scores must be submitted within two years of taking the test. Students from certain countries and based on their educational background may not have to submit scores.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International372 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 372 USD per credit during 48 months.
National372 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 372 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State257 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 257 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for Brookings
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.