In the courses, we emphasize how development is shaped by the intersections of politics, economy, social and political power, and culture at global, national, and regional levels. Our majors acquire a critical understanding of environmental vulnerabilities and socio-economic inequalities in the developing world, grounded in an appreciation of global history. The International Development Studies majors are well-prepared for further graduate education and to work in NGOs and state agencies alike.
An International Development Studies program from Portland State University prepares students for a wide range of careers in the nonprofit, private, and government sectors. Graduates of our program have found opportunities all over the world in:
- Graduate programs in International Affairs, Business, International Development, Political Science, Urban Studies, Public Health, etc.
- Private-sector employers, including international businesses
- Aid organizations such as the International Red Cross
- Nonprofits focused on issues ranging from health to education, food systems, gender rights, sustainability, and more
- Business incubators and trade organizations
- Government agencies and grassroots organizations, with a focus on international affairs
- Journalism and media organizations
Whether you want to pursue a career overseas, work in the United States, or prepare for a graduate degree, take the first step with Portland State University’s International Development Studies major.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- International Studies
- Environment and Development in Latin America
- Commodity Chains: From Silver to Cocaine
- Gender and Development
- Amazon Rainforest
- Modern Brazil
- Post-Colonial Studies of Africa
- Globalization and Forced Migration
- Global Studies
- The United States and the World
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Development International Business View 382 other Bachelors in International Development in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Portland State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- To enroll as a freshman (first year), you must have completed secondary school or high school. Your education must be equivalent to United States secondary school or high school education.
- You must have a cumulative (overall) grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 when converted to the U.S. 4.0 grading scale.
- Meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement. You may be admitted to Portland State University and an Intensive English Language Program (IELP) pathway if you do not meet PSU's English Language Proficiency Requirement. Learn more about PSU’s English language programs.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International29706 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29706 USD per year
National29706 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29706 USD per year
In-State10806 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10806 USD per year
Washington Border Discount (WBD) $11,706
Living costs for Portland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.