What to Expect
As a Film and Media Studies major at the University of South Carolina, you will develop an array of critical skills necessary for actively interpreting and productively engaging film and media culture from essential media literacy skills to advanced research methods in historical and textual film and media analysis.
By working closely with program faculty, you may also undertake undergraduate research on almost any aspect of media culture — from early Hollywood to contemporary Asian cinema and European television, from home movies and experimental films to selfies and social networks, from problems of industrial organization to questions of genre development and social habit. You will pursue additional skills through your minor.
As a film and media studies major, you will also have the opportunity to get involved in Columbia's local film culture, which is anchored by the Nickelodeon Theater and Film Society and its unique media literacy programs, part of the Helen Hill Media Education Center. You may choose to volunteer, intern or even work at the theater or center to gain experience in film programming, film festival operations and the teaching of media literacy skills to young people.
A major in film and media arts can prepare you for careers in:
- mobile imaging
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Film and Media Studies
- Film and Media History
- Film and Media Theory and Criticism
- Topics in Film and Media Histories (recent topics include: Tarantino; Hong Kong Action Cinema; The Teen Film; Art and Cinema; Surveillance; Hollywood in the 1950s and 1960s)
- Documentary Film and Media Studies
- Courses in Media Arts and Theater
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 804 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United States
- Fill out the University's application form completely.
- There is a $100 non-refundable application fee for international students. Access our online application to begin.
- Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic Test scores.
- Submit all official (or attested) high school transcripts.
International33523 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33523 USD per year during 48 months.
33,523 - 37,740 USD
Living costs for Columbia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.