This Biology degree from University of North Carolina Wilmington supports plans for pre-health professionals, pre-veterinary science, conservation biology, and molecular or clinical interests. Modern Biology increasingly impacts the non-scientific world, facilitating solutions to technological, environmental, ethical, philosophical and political issues that are important to society.
The Department of Biology and Marine Biology at UNCW strives to train the next generation of scientists and educators, and prepare all students to make sound judgments based on a solid foundation of biological principles. The department provides an environment in which excellent teaching coupled with diverse research opportunities encourage our faculty to become leaders in their discipline.
Our teaching emphasizes current theories of biological science, knowledge of basic investigative skills, and methods of critical inquiry.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students should have the ability to demonstrate a fundamental level of academic competence in core biological content and issue knowledge.(Foundational Knowledge)
- Students should be able to present biological information orally.(Foundational Knowledge, Thoughtful Expression)
- Students should be able to competently critique biological literature.(Foundational Knowledge, Critical thinking, information Literacy)
- Students should be able to utilize biological literature to examine scientific questions.(Foundational Knowledge, Critical thinking, information Literacy)
- Students should have the ability to demonstrate competence in biological writing. (Foundational Knowledge, Thoughtful Expression)
- A student should have the ability to understand basic biological experimental design and quantitative methods. (Foundational Knowledge, Critical thinking)
- A student should have the ability to apply biological knowledge to current topics. (Foundational Knowledge, Critical thinking, information Literacy,Thoughtful Expression)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Principles of Biology: Cells
- Principles of Biology: Biodiversity which must be taken early in the program of study
- Genetics and Genetics Laboratory
- Molecular Biology of the Cell and
- Molecular Biology of Cell Laboratory
- Plant Physiology
- Animal Physiology
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology Biochemistry View 1685 other Masters in Biochemistry in United States
- Completed online application.
- Non-refundable $80 application fee (check or money order in U.S. dollars and drawn on a U.S. bank, payable to UNCW).
- Essay & short answer
- An official transcript, translated into English (translation must be certified), of grades from secondary school.
International18508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9254 USD per semester during 48 months.
National18508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9254 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State4444 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2222 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Wilmington
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.