Technical Design from Fashion Institute of Technology SUNY curriculum covers the technical elements of grading, marking, and specs. You'll learn about the critical relationship between technical design and the production and manufacturing cycles. Emphasis is placed on developing skills in digital imaging and using industry-specific grading and marking software.
Graduates with Technical Design from Fashion Institute of Technology SUNY will:
- develop and sew production patterns and document how the garment is to be constructed in language that is clear to the manufacturer;
- analyze the fit of a garment and document the problems in a clear and concise manner;
- follow a garment through pattern development, construction, and fitting, and create a Technical Specifications Packet (Tech Pack);
- measure a variety of garments: blouses, pants, skirts, jackets, dresses, intimate apparel, and be familiar with different methods used to measure garments in the industry;
- distinguish between the properties associated with different fabric types and how these properties impact pattern development, sewing, pressing, finishing, and fit;
- analyze a grading specifications sheet and grade basic patterns in a full size range without compromising the original design;
- analyze corporate structure and describe the responsibilities of the designer, technical designer, merchandiser, and contractor;
- Computerized Pattern Development
- Manufacturing Process Analysis
- Advanced Textiles for Technical Design
- Strategies of Business Communication
- Mathematical Modeling for Business Applications
- Production Pattern Development
- Technical Design: Wovens
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial Design Design General Engineering & Technology View 1300 other Bachelors in Design in United States
- File the SUNY Application Online
- Admissions Essay
- School Transcripts
- English Proficiency
- U.S. equivalency of your credential(s)
- Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) strong B average
- An English translation for all documents, where applicable
International15870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7935 USD per semester during 48 months.
National15870 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7935 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State5290 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2645 USD per semester during 48 months.
- In-state: $3,585 per semester
- Out-of-state: $10,846 per semester
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.