The Environmental Geography programme from Cardiff University builds upon the equivalent BSc course by means of a fourth year that provides specialist training in hypothesis testing, critical analysis and problem solving, whilst learning about the process and outcomes of research. You will undertake a specialist research project in a subject area of your choice, working with a member of staff in their area of expertise, and undertake research in the field during the MESci Field Course. The MESci is designed for students who might aim to pursue a research career in academia, government or industry.
The skills and understanding of environmental geographers make them uniquely placed to solve complex and wide-ranging environmental problems that arise in the landscape. This degree will help you to develop these skills and perspectives by providing opportunities for conducting fieldwork in a range of exciting environments and for conducting cutting-edge research with leading scientists in environmental geography.
For students interested in professional research careers in Geography, the four-year MESci provides a strong basis for investigation and research in this subject.
- Experience all aspects of Earth Sciences and Geography in the first term before deciding which degree you wish to pursue.
- Two overseas ﬁeldtrips with travel and accommodation paid for by the School, as well as plenty of fieldwork in South Wales and the UK.
- South Wales is a fascinating area in which to explore environmental geography with a huge range of natural environments and a wealth of practical study opportunities.
- A major summer project between years two and three actively encourages you to devise and design your own independent research.
- A master's research dissertation on a topic of your choice can widen your career options.
This programme can prepare you for a wide range of careers. Environmental geographers can explain climate change to policymakers, measure pollution and its effects on ecosystems, and understand and communicate environmental risks.
92% of our graduates were in employment or further study within six months of graduation according to the latest data, with others taking time out to travel.
Typical jobs for graduates include engineering geologist, environmental consultant, hydrogeologist, geotechnical engineer, exploration geologist, hydrographic surveyor and scientific diver.
Employers included local government plus companies and organisations such as the Environment Agency, BAM Construct UK, Airbus and Wales and West Utilities.
- Environmental Advisor
- Software Analyst
- Environmental Consultant
- Pollution Monitor
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Planet Earth
- Earth Surface Processes
- Dangerous Earth
- Geographical Information Systems
- Environmental Geography Field Skills
- Chemistry of the Environment
- Geographical Data Analysis
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeography Environmental Sciences View 343 other Masters in Geography in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- ABB - BBB including one of the following STEM subjects: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Geology, Biology, Geography, Computer Science, Environmental Science OR BBB - BBC including two of the following STEM subjects: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Geology, Biology, Geography, Computer Science, Environmental Science. Please note that General Studies are not accepted for entry.
- Extended Project Qualification: Applicants with grade A in the EPQ will typically receive an offer one grade lower than the standard A level offer. Please note that any subject specific requirements must still be met.
International21950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21950 GBP per year during 48 months.
EU/EEA9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 48 months.
We are currently awaiting confirmation on tuition fees for the academic year.
Living costs for Cardiff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.