About the Program
It’s easy to conceive an idea but much harder to produce it. The Media Arts Production program of Emerson College, within the Department of Visual and Media Arts, challenges students to see their vision through to completion and spans virtually every aspect of the creative process. From writing for television and cinematography to location sound recording and computer animation, its hands-on courses give students the flexibility to chart their own course—allowing them to focus on the skills that are most valuable to them and sharpen their skills as filmmakers, producers, writers, and makers.
In the first year of the program, you study the foundational history of media arts and production. In year two, you can select from courses in different production modes, criticism and theory, and writing for media. Year three consists of intermediate courses that deepen your knowledge of your areas of interest. In the last year, you choose courses that will significantly expand your skill set and shape you into an artist who is adaptable in any area of the field.
Juniors may continue to complete the Media Arts Production BA degree; or, they have the option of applying to pursue the BFA degree, in which they complete a yearlong project, reel, or portfolio capstone project by the end of their last semester—lending further depth to their visual media production experience. To be considered for this competitive BFA program, students must be in good academic standing with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
Before and after graduation, you’ll benefit from Emerson’s extensive alumni network, which spans every medium and market in the entertainment industry in Boston, Los Angeles, and beyond. And when you do graduate, you will join the ranks of these creative luminaries—from Emmy-winning producers to influential media executives—and leave with the confidence you need to become a media maker of tomorrow.
Today, developing media is more relevant than ever. It’s time for you to share your voice and craft the stories, sights, sounds, and characters that will inspire audiences around the world. Apply to our Media Arts Production major and join the artists and leaders who will influence the media landscape.
Programme StructureCourses offered:
- History of Media Arts
- Visual and Media Arts Production
- Media Criticism and Theory
- Critical Listening
- Film Production
- Studio Television Production
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 1269 other Bachelors in Media Studies & Mass Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official transcripts are required from each secondary school attended and should include courses taken and grades received in years.
- A School Report must be completed by your secondary school counselor or another school official, and must be submitted along with an official, signed transcript from your high school.
- The secondary school counselor evaluation should accompany the high school transcript and School Report.
- A minimum of one official teacher evaluation from someone who has taught you in an academic subject.
- We ask that all applicants submit first marking period (first quarter, midterm, first trimester) or mid-year (second quarter, first semester, second trimester) grades when they become available.
- Testing and English Language Proficiency Requirement.
- SAT or ACT Scores.
International50240 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25120 USD per semester during 48 months.
National50240 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25120 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.