About the Program
The Biochemistry program of Rutgers University takes advantage of the diversity of molecular/biochemical research and coursework that is offered at Rutgers at SEBS and the other schools. Students will apply their basic understanding of biochemistry to a specific area of interest, ranging from toxicology /pharmacology, to food and nutritional sciences, microbiology, animal science, and plant biology.
This redesigned and enhanced curriculum follows the recommendations of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) and has components of both a traditional course-centered approach to teaching and the more current content- and outcome-centered approach.
The purpose of the major is to prepare students for futures in science, either through obtaining advanced degrees or through entering the workforce in the pharmaceutical, biotechnological and chemical industries, government service, communications, law and many other fields.
Program Learning Goals
- Biochemistry graduates will understand the basic concepts of biochemistry, including metabolism, enzymatic structure and function, and regulation of gene and protein expression.
- Students who complete our program will be able to use the scientific method, stating and testing a hypothesis, and will be able to design experiments to ask questions in biochemistry.
- Upon completion, students will be critical thinkers with effective written and oral communication skills; well prepared for positions in industry, government and graduate/professional study.
- Graduates will have a fundamental understanding of ethical and current issues in biochemistry and understand the importance of ethics in scientific research.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Molecules of Life
- Experiments with GFP: The Art and the Science
- Contemporary Issues in Biochemistry
- Biochem Lab
- Ethics in Biochemical Research
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 2168 other Bachelors in Chemistry in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online Application
- A $70 non-refundable application fee is required
- Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR)
- Due to the uncertainty of future test dates and availability of standardized tests, Rutgers will make submission of SAT and ACT test scores optional
- English Proficiency Examination Requirements
- Letters of recommendation are not used for admissions consideration
International33388 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16694 USD per semester during 48 months.
National33388 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16694 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State14090 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7045 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Camden
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.