Majors in the Physics program of Bowdoin College enjoy discovering how things happen and speculating about why things happen. They learn to approach new problems confidently—to identify general features of these problems, apply appropriate methods to their solutions, and communicate the consequences of such solutions effectively. Many of our students may not become professional physicists, but they will be able to apply their problem-solving skills in any career.
Students should include upper-level courses in the humanities as well as upper-level courses in mathematics and physics in their studies. A strong preparation for advanced work, coupled with general intellectual growth and good scholarship, is our goal.
An undergraduate major in physics should give a graduating student a basic understanding of the four basic interactions, and provide them with an array of mathematical tools and experimental tools to explore physical phenomena involving those interactions.
Our curriculum is set up to continually test the student’s ability to use these tools to analyze physical situations. The complexity of the material builds, with analysis at any level (1000, 2000, 3000) relying on the material at a lower level as a base starting point.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Quantitative Reasoning in the Physical Sciences
- Electric Fields and Circuits
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 1273 other Masters in Physics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application and personal essay, application fee (nonrefundable) or fee waiver.
- Bowdoin Supplement
- Counselor Recommendation - Advisor's estimate of candidate's character and accomplishments
- Secondary School Report - Information concerning candidate's school offerings and environment
- Secondary School Record - Transcript
- Mid-Year Report OR official school transcript at Mid-Year - Report of mid-year grades and performance
- Teacher Evaluation - An evaluation completed by a teacher who has taught applicant either junior or senior year in an academic core subject
- Students whose first language is not English must submit official results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), from Duolingo English Test (DET) or from Cambridge English Assessment (CEA)
- Bowdoin accepts independent interviews from vendors, such as Initialview or Vericant, from our international applicants
International55822 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55822 USD per year during 48 months.
National55822 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 55822 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Brunswick
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.