The Department of Biology and Marine Biology at UNCW strives to train the next generation of scientists and educators, and prepare all students to make sound judgments based on a solid foundation of biological principles.
The B.A. Biology degree at University of North Carolina Wilmington provides an environment in which excellent teaching coupled with diverse research opportunities encourage our faculty to become leaders in their discipline. Our teaching emphasizes current theories of biological science, knowledge of basic investigative skills, and methods of critical inquiry.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students should have the ability to demonstrate a fundamental level of academic competence in core biological content and issue knowledge. (Foundational Knowledge)
- Students should be able to present biological information orally.(Foundational Knowledge, Thoughtful Expression)
- Students should be able to competently critique biological literature. (Critical Thinking, Foundational Knowledge, Information Literacy)
- Students should be able to utilize biological literature to examine scientific questions. (Critical Thinking, Foundational Knowledge, Information Literacy)
- Students should have the ability to demonstrate competence in biological writing. (Foundational Knowledge, Thoughtful Expression)
- A student should have the ability to understand basic biological experimental design and quantitative methods. (Critical Thinking, Foundational Knowledge)
- A student should have the ability to apply biological knowledge to current topics. (Critical Thinking, Foundational Knowledge, Information Literacy, Thoughtful Expression)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Principles of Biology: Cells
- Principles of Biology: Biodiversity which must be taken early in the program of study
- Genetics and Genetics Laboratory
- Molecular Biology of the Cell and
- Molecular Biology of Cell Laboratory
- Plant Physiology
- Animal Physiology
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology Biochemistry Genetics View 1685 other Masters in Biochemistry in United States
- Completed online application.
- Non-refundable $80 application fee (check or money order in U.S. dollars and drawn on a U.S. bank, payable to UNCW).
- Essay & short answer
- An official transcript, translated into English (translation must be certified), of grades from secondary school.
International18508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9254 USD per semester during 48 months.
National18508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9254 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State4444 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2222 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Wilmington
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.