These relations comprise multiple phenomena that shape today’s world: trade and finance, armed conflict, migration, law, environmental issues, health challenges and more. International interactions and globalization have never been more extensive, making international relations a critical area of study and the major uniquely valuable to students with a wide array of interests.
At The University of Iowa we offer a bachelor degree in International Relations. Students graduating with a degree in international relations (IR) have the skills and knowledge to grasp international events from theoretical, empirical, and historical perspectives. For example, IR majors can conceptualize protests in the Middle East using theories of coercion and politics within authoritarian governments, while placing current protests in context with the history of protests in the Middle East and elsewhere. In addition to gaining skills and knowledge with broad applicability, each IR major gains an in-depth understanding of a particular aspect of international relations.
- Iowa graduates have job placement rates ranging from 86-100 percent, depending on their area of study, and our Pomerantz Career Center offers multiple resources to help students find internships and jobs.
- Because international relations and the international community are so important, a major in international relations is an excellent choice for any student considering a career in either the public or private sector, including the diplomatic service, intelligence organizations, multinational corporations, non-governmental organizations, international organizations, think tanks, public health agencies, the media, and numerous other professions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to International Relations
- International Conflict
- Politics of International Economics
- Western Civilization III, World Since 1945, or History of International Conflict & Cooperation since 1900
- Understanding Political Research
- International Relations Senior Seminar
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations View 595 other Masters in International Relations in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Submit an application
- Pay the $80 application fee
- Upload your academic records
- If your first language is not English: Have the testing agency send us your TOEFL, IELTS or PTE score, if applicable, based on our English Proficiency Requirements.
- You completed secondary school in the United States
- You are applying for direct admission to the Tippie College of Business, the College of Engineering, or the University of Iowa Honors Program
- You plan to apply for scholarships (some awards require an ACT or SAT score)
- Our institution code for ACT is 1356; our institution code for SAT is 6681
International31793 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31793 USD per year during 48 months.
National31793 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31793 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State9830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9830 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.