Students of communication studies learn to analyze written, oral, visual, and electronic messages from historical, critical, and social science perspectives. They also learn to produce such messages as a means of artistic and functional expression.Communication studies is one of the most popular majors at Iowa. Students develop the knowledge and skills to meet today's increasingly complex communication challenges.
At The University of Iowa we offer a bachelor degree in Communication Studies. You’ll learn how to analyze and evaluate communication practices critically and how to use practical oral, written, and visual communication. You’ll also prepare to move into any number of professions in which you’ll use effective communication skills to engage with other people.
Iowa’s program will help you understand how face-to-face and media-based communications influence and shape our everyday lives, including social interaction, work, public opinion, economic activities, and politics.
- Iowa graduates have job placement rates ranging from 86-100 percent, depending on their area of study, and our Pomerantz Career Center offers multiple resources to help students find internships and jobs.
- As a communication studies graduate, you’ll have numerous career options. The major provides solid preparation for employment in almost any job that requires effective critical thinking and communication skills. Graduates find work in fields such as the arts, entertainment, and media industries; consulting; sales and marketing; human resources; and public advocacy.
- Interpersonal Communication
- Communication Theory in Everyday Life
- Theory and Practice of Argument
- The Art of Persuading Others
- Media, Music, and Culture
- Media and Society
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences View 939 other Bachelors in Communication Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Submit an application
- Pay the $80 application fee
- Upload your academic records
- If your first language is not English: Have the testing agency send us your TOEFL, IELTS or PTE score, if applicable, based on our English Proficiency Requirements
- You completed secondary school in the United States
- You are applying for direct admission to the Tippie College of Business, the College of Engineering, or the University of Iowa Honors Program
- You plan to apply for scholarships (some awards require an ACT or SAT score)
- Our institution code for ACT is 1356; our institution code for SAT is 6681.
International31793 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31793 USD per year during 48 months.
National31793 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31793 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State9830 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9830 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.