The Humanities program of San Francisco State University students must complete a core of five courses (including a senior seminar) in basic methods of understanding culture through the humanities, and then choose combinations of courses in European, American, Asian and Middle Eastern/African, and Cross-Cultural Studies. Up to three appropriate courses in related departments such as ethnic studies, English, comparative and world literature, philosophy, art, and music may be included in the major with an advisor's approval.
Humanities majors learn to interpret, compare, and integrate various objects of humanistic study, such as literature, music, visual culture, comics and graphic narrative, architecture and urban space, philosophy, and cultural theory, as they explore the important questions that have faced human beings.
The Liberal Studies major prepares students for future employment in a variety of fields, including education, government or public service, the arts, management, communications, humanities, and social sciences, and work involving multicultural communities. The teacher preparation emphasis provides the broad academic background necessary for teaching in an elementary classroom and as part of a student’s preparation for the CSET Multiple Subjects (California Subject Examinations for Teachers). Additionally, LS students can take course-work satisfying the multiple-subject elementary subject matter waiver requirements, which replaces the CSET exams for entering a credential program (interested students should consult an LS adviser). The major is also appropriate preparation for various professional and graduate programs such as business, counseling, law, librarianship, medicine, and for disciplinary or interdisciplinary graduate programs.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Form and Culture
- History and Culture
- Thought and Image: Humanities
- Senior Seminar in the Humanities
- The Humanities: Major Works
- Theories and Methods in the Humanities
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Art History View 1884 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Complete and submit the CSU Application
- Students will be required to submit official, original or certified/attested copies of all original academic documents in the original language of issue
- Applicants who are presently attending a college or university in the United States must, in addition to their international records, submit official transcripts of all work completed and in progress
- Applicants must be qualified to enter a university in their home country and have a good scholastic record from an accredited/recognized school
- All applicants for admission to the University must pay a $55.00 application fee
- English language proficiency
International7440 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7440 USD per year during 48 months.
National7440 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7440 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.