You can make your experience in Teaching of Spanish fit your unique interests through the choices we offer in study abroad, opportunities to work closely with faculty, a wide array of course topics, online courses and community service learning. And by the way, there’s no need to stick to just one language. Add Portuguese, and you will have Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula almost covered. We invite you to learn with us.
We know you have goals for your Spanish major at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign: are they clear for you? To reach them, give it your all in your classes--or in the words of this alumna, “Go hard or go home.” And if you really want to make the most of your college years (¡el tiempo vuela!), integrate your Spanish studies into your life outside of classes and within your personal development. Here are some ideas:
- Honors learning agreements. Haz algo extra en tu clase de español. If you are a James Scholar, ask your instructor if you can integrate an honors project into your Spanish class (200-level and higher). The types of projects instructors allow vary, but here are some examples of recent student projects: an extra paper about a topic that fascinates you; blog posts about your community service learning class (here's one example, and here's another); suggest a project that interests you and takes your learning in the course to a new level or on a new path.
- Research opportunities. Las lenguas y las culturas son fascinantes; explóralas en detalle. Some of our students work in a language research lab. You can apply to volunteer at the University Language Academy for Children, where our faculty teach and research how children learn a second language. And you can work with the Office of Undergraduate Research to explore other options. Finally, don't forget that you are at a university con una biblioteca extraordinaria; read about and use the library resources for Iberian and Latin American information.
- Honors thesis. ¿Estás listo/a para emprender un proyecto serio? Students who wish to graduate with Departmental Distinction can work on an honors thesis with a faculty advisor. The work takes place over two semesters. Some students go abroad and come back with a question they want to explore further. You might fall in love with a novel you read for a class and want to analyze it more deeply. Some students wrote a case study about a local refugee center. Work with a faculty member to shape a project into something meaningful for you. Contact our Director of Undergraduate Studies (email@example.com) to find out if this option is right for you.
- Careers. Las lenguas y la competencia cultural son importantes en el mundo profesional. College is a time to learn, explore and ask new questions. Still, finding a job after college weighs on students' minds, too. Start early and take advantage of the resources at Illinois' Career Center, look over the opportunities on the LAS Career Development page, utilize the help that is just for you at the Humanities Professional Resource Center, and look for inspiration at the Illini Success page. Check out this tool that shows potential future earnings for Spanish and other majors. If you would like to live and work outside the US after you graduate, consider applying to be a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant; you can read the profile of a student on her way to being a Fulbright ETA and see the details of an alum who finished up her year as an ETA. Finally, if you are wondering about the value of a degree in the humanities, click through the "Study the Humanities Toolkit" and see for yourself how a degree in Spanish can be your springboard to professional and personal success.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Elementary Spanish I
- Elementary Spanish II
- Intensive Elementary Spanish
- Intermediate Spanish
- Introduction to Spanish Grammar
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching View 2808 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- High school transcript
- Test score results (ACT, SAT)
- Application fee (Domestic $50 ; International $75)
- To be considered for admission, you must complete a program of study that qualifies you for admission to selective universities in your own country. Freshman applicants must report their academic credentials when they apply.
International30594 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 30594 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National29704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29704 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State12254 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12254 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
LAS International Rate: $32,094
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.