The goal of research and education in Bioengineering offered by the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign is to advance fundamental understanding of how human biological systems function, and to develop effective technology-based solutions to the wide spectrum of societal needs in human development and disease diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.
The Bioengineering department (BIOE) aims to graduate students who:
- Enter into industry jobs in prominent companies as engineers who work in the areas of:
- Pursue graduate studies in bioengineering-related fields such as:
- Broaden their education by attending professional school in areas of medicine, law, and business
- Maintain professional development through societal memberships and industry workshops
The curriculum includes integration of principles of biology and engineering in coursework such as biomechanics, modeling of human physiology, bioinstrumentation, and cell and tissue engineering. The curriculum is project-based and has a strong emphasis on systems-thinking as an approach to large-scale bioengineering problems. During the first and second years, students take fundamental courses introducing them to bioengineering as a field and introducing clinically relevant projects as learning experiences. The program also features hands-on laboratory courses for real-world experience throughout the curriculum. The final two years allow students to focus on a particular track of Bioengineering for further study. A year-long senior capstone design course provides experience in applying engineering fundamentals to biological problems submitted by faculty, clinicians, and industrial firms.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Bioengineering
- Engineering Orientation
- Foundational Mathematics and Science
- General Chemistry
- Conservation Principles Bioeng
- Cell & Tissue Engineering Lab
- Signals & Systems in Bioengrg
- Cellular Bioengineering
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biology Bioinformatics View 2505 other Masters in Biology in United States
- High school transcript
- Test score results (ACT, SAT)
- Application fee (Domestic $50 ; International $75)
- To be considered for admission, you must complete a program of study that qualifies you for admission to selective universities in your own country. Freshman applicants must report their academic credentials when they apply.
International40146 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 40146 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National34798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 34798 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State17348 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17348 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.