The department offers four different introductory sequences and two degree programs. Also offered are introductory courses that fulfill the science and quantitative reasoning distributional requirements and are appropriate for non–science majors. Combined majors are available in Mathematics and Physics, Astrophysics, Physics and Philosophy, and Physics and Geosciences. Applied Physics is a closely related major.
Physics courses at Yale University numbered 120 or below are for students with little or no previous experience in physics who do not plan to major in the natural sciences. These courses have no college-level mathematics requirement and do not satisfy the medical school requirement.
- University Physics for the Life Sciences is for students with little background in physics and mathematics who will probably not major in the physical sciences but who may be interested in the medical and biological sciences. There is no mathematics prerequisite other than high school mathematics.
- University Physics is for students with some previous background in physics and mathematics who plan to major in the physical sciences.
- Fundamentals of Physics is for students with a strong background in mathematics and physics who plan to major in the physical sciences.
- Intensive Introductory Physics is intended for students who have had excellent training in and have a flair for mathematical methods and quantitative analysis; a solid foundation in physics is required.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Energy Technology and Society
- Practical Electronics
- The Physics of Dance
- Quantum Physics and Beyond
- General Physics Laboratory
- University Physics for the Life Sciences
- University Physics
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics View 1253 other Masters in Physics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All international student applicants at the Yale must complete the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Program (see Standardized Examinations in the chapter Admissions).
- In addition, all applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the Internet-based test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT), a test that includes a section on spoken English (see Standardized Examinations in the chapter Admissions).
- Any transcripts, letters of reference, or other application material written in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified translation.
International55500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 55500 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National55500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 55500 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.