The Environmental Sciences program at Northwestern University will help students learn to:
- Conceptualize environmental problems in a broad, interdisciplinary framework.
- Apply quantitative and qualitative critical thinking skills to environmental problems spanning local to global scales.
- Combine methods, perspectives, and practices in the natural sciences and engineering with those in the social sciences and humanities.
- Discriminate between different views to separate cause from effect, recognize overarching themes, and differentiate fact from opinion.
- Synthesize information in a way that promotes positive changes in human activity and offers solutions to existing and emerging environmental problems.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of forms and formats.
The major offers two tracks: science and policy. Both tracks share common foundation courses in science, mathematics, and social science and the same core curriculum. Advanced course work differs with track. The major entails three successive levels:
- Foundation Courses in basic science, mathematics, and social science.
- Core Courses that provide more specific education about the discipline.
- Advanced Studies Courses offering specialized training in key areas.
- Earth: A Habitable Planet
- Health of the Biosphere
- Humans and the Environment
- Geographic Information Systems
- Instrumentation And Field Methods
- Global Change Ecology
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeology Natural Sciences Environmental Sciences View 666 other Bachelors in Geology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Common Application or Coalition Application*
- Official secondary school transcript and school report
- Counselor recommendation
- At least one teacher recommendation
- SAT or ACT scores (OPTIONAL for 2020-22 cycle)
- Official proof of English language proficiency‡ (ONLY for applicants whose first/primary language is not English or whose secondary schooling has not been in English)
International62391 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 62391 USD per year during 48 months.
National62391 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 62391 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Evanston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.