American Studies at California State University Long Beach is a vital, malleable, and growing academic enterprise, one known for the new questions it has posed, the new perspectives it has brought to the study of the cultures of the United States, and the new information it has introduced into scholarly and public conversations about national identity and experience. Students in this interdisciplinary program play an active role in their own education, working with the program director, teaching faculty, and professional advisors, to design their own plan of inquiry into various aspects of American society and culture.
American Studies majors and minors receive a broad liberal arts education focusing on American culture, traditions, artistic and material production, ideas, identities, and spaces. The major in American Studies offers a solid background for careers in law, journalism, public service, business, and education. The program also provides the foundation for graduate work in American Studies and related fields. In other words, the knowledge and skills our majors acquire prepares them to succeed in just about any field.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to American Studies
- California Culture
- Senior Seminar in American Studies
- American Cultural History
- American Institutions, Ideas, and Experiences
- Diversity and Difference
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages View 1969 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Complete each of the courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirements with a grade of C or higher prior to high school graduation
- Graduate from high school by the end of the Spring term prior to Fall enrollment
- Have a minimum “Eligibility Index” to be considered: Graduates of California high schools and other California residents: 3,200 minimum “Eligibility Index” to be considered for non-STEM major and a 3,300 minimum “STEM Eligibility Index” for STEM majors and other non-California residents: 3,570 minimum “Eligibility Index” to be considered
- All transcripts from all institutions attended
- SAT/ACT scores-Domestic Freshmen and International Freshmen graduating from a U.S. high school
International5742 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2871 USD per semester and a duration of 48 months.
National5742 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2871 USD per semester and a duration of 48 months.
If you are not a resident of California , you must add $396.00 for each unit of credit you take.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.