Many students arrive at Ohio State with a desire to learn languages, and many already have background in one or more Romance languages (Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian) or Latin.
The goal of the Romance Studies major from The Ohio State University is for students to become proficient in the language and cultures of multiple countries in order to become respectful, responsible and active global citizens.
Multilingualism is a valued asset on the job market. Foreign language abilities are applicable in a variety of settings in the United States and abroad. The mastery of one or more languages allows students to consider careers in government, business, banking and finance, journalism, print and electronic media, foreign correspondence, the trade and tourism industries, and education. Students are encouraged to attend the annual career night organized by the Center for Languages, Literatures and Cultures in order to learn about careers in the foreign languages.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Romance studies major requires between 41 and 48 credits.
- This does not count the prerequisites for the primary and secondary language. However, note that the 1000-level language course prerequisite hours for the primary or secondary language count for the open option general education requirement.
- In addition, many students test out of any number of elementary-level language courses.
- Students must choose one primary field, one secondary field and one tertiary field, each in a different language, and take one required course taught in English in the junior or senior year. See below for specific requirements.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 2808 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.