Music education students who successfully complete the degree requirements receive a provisional teaching license from the state of Ohio.
Students majoring in Music - Education program from The Ohio State University will achieve the following learning outcomes:
Students will construct a content foundation in comprehensive arts education, standards-based art education, visual culture, critical pedagogy and teaching for understanding.
- The candidate will research, investigate and work with historical and contemporary developments, theories, issues and philosophical perspectives within the visual arts, art education and education.
- The candidate will balance and integrate content with art criticism, studio production, aesthetics, the study of historical and cultural contexts, visual culture, and the investigation of intellectual processes.
- The candidate will explain the basic principles and concepts of the content being studied and apply it in authentic teaching and/or learning situations.
Students will examine cognitive and cultural approaches to teaching and learning to develop pedagogical strategies that are sensitive to the learning needs of all learners and a variety of diverse teaching and educational contexts.
- The candidate will recognize learning contexts as complex organizational systems requiring management, planning, assessment and resources that are responsive to the particular as well as the broad needs of those involved in them.
- The candidate will study, develop and deliver curriculum designed to accommodate differences in student characteristics, abilities, cultural backgrounds and learning styles.
- The candidate will develop and write instructional plans containing content that is meaningful and relevant to the lives of all learners and encourages active inquiry.
- The candidate will create conducive learning environments and deliver instruction in such a way so that all students can learn while showing a commitment to diversity, equity and efficacy.
Music educators have teaching careers available in preschools through high schools, adult learning centers and private studios. Students who wish to teach music education at the college level should teach music in grades K–12 for at least three years. Graduate study in music education is also required for college teaching positions.
Beginning salaries for music teachers vary depending on the school district. High school teachers and some junior high/middle school teachers receive supplementary stipends for extra duties (e.g., marching band and musical theatre productions).
Ohio State’s career and job placement offices offer help in career planning, resume and application letter writing, and job placement. These offices can help students match interests and strengths with a promising career. Ohio State recognizes that students’ needs for career support services vary and offers special services for disabled students, veterans, minority students and international students.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Music Theory
- Music Aural Training
- Music History
- World Music
- applied music
- Keyboarding Skills
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Music View 2096 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.