Regularities can also be found, for example, in the ways languages change over time and in the steps by which children learn their native language. These facts about language call for scientific analysis and can be explained in terms of the human organs used to produce and listen to speech as well as with respect to specific cognitive abilities and limitations of the human mind.
The goal of linguistics is to provide an objective and systematic study of these properties in human languages. Though linguistics is fundamentally a humanistic discipline because of its subject matter, it is scientific in its goals and methods and has much in common with social sciences, including psychology, anthropology and sociology. Linguistics as a discipline also has close ties to philosophy (logic and the philosophy of language), computer science (the processing of human languages by computer), communication and the study of individual foreign languages.
Ohio State boasts one of the best linguistics programs in the nation; many students of linguistics go on to pursue graduate degrees. Through its emphasis on critical thinking, analytic skills and language, a major in linguistics is designed to provide excellent preparation for graduate work in related disciplines such as cognitive psychology, anthropology, philosophy, speech pathology and computer science. The study of linguistics allows students to consider careers in fields such as scientific or scholarly research, computing, communications, law, teaching English as a second language, and foreign service.
Some graduates from Linguistics program from The Ohio State University have chosen jobs such as computer programmer at companies including Microsoft Corporation and OCLS Online Computer Library Center, Inc.; research scientists in private companies including Nuance Communications and Motorola; academic positions in universities in the United States and abroad; and language instructors in the private and public sectors including Language Training and Testing Center in Taipei, Taiwan and The Spoken English Program at Ohio State.
Students can explore career options by utilizing Career Connection as well as the Arts and Sciences Career Services Office. Providing complimentary services, Career Connection focuses on helping students establish a career direction, while the Arts and Sciences Career Services Office assists students with finding internships—experiences that are essential to testing out the suitability of career fields they are considering.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Students majoring in linguistics must complete an introductory linguistics course, an advanced foreign language course, six core linguistic courses and four elective linguistic courses. These include:
- one course in general introductory linguistics
- one advanced course in a foreign language beyond the college requirements or a linguistics field methods course
- six linguistics courses that introduce students to the main subfields of linguistics from phonetics, syntax, phonology, historical linguistics, sociolinguistics, psycholinguistics, field methods and semantics
- four linguistics or related courses, to be chosen in consultation with a faculty advisor
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 2808 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.