In this hemisphere there are more than 10 million descendants of immigrants from Italy living in countries from Canada to Argentina, with the United States second only to Italy itself in number of Italian-speaking residents. In addition to studying the grammatical aspects of Italian, students learn about the culture, history, cinema and literature of Italy, a country that for over two thousand years has been at the center of the artistic and cultural history of the western world.
Those who complete the Italian program from The Ohio State University will have a sound linguistic foundation in Italian, a firm understanding of Italian culture and the resources necessary to interact as responsible, productive global citizens.
Italian is applicable in a variety of settings in the United States and abroad. Mastery of Italian allows students to consider careers in such fields as education, government, international trade (in fashions, machinery, wine and foodstuffs, for example), banking, print or electronic media, scientific and medical research, or tourism. Many employers are eager to hire graduates who are fluent in Italian because their businesses involve Italian speakers.
Careers in which Italian is the primary emphasis include teaching Italian at all levels, interpreting and translating for government and for private and public organizations, and a variety of positions in the travel and tourism industry at home or abroad such as flight attendant, travel agent or tour guide.
Careers in which proficiency in Italian is a good secondary tool include banking and finance, business, sales, export purchasing, foreign market analysis, journalism, foreign correspondence, science and research, library science, hotel management, publishing, radio broadcasting, and teaching English in Italy to employees in corporations abroad.
Ohio State graduates with Italian degrees have chosen jobs such as manager for World Trade Group, bilingual secretary for Citified Mortgage, director/organizer of study abroad programs, publicist for Salls & Bonda Inc. and community health organizer for the Peace Corps.
Students can explore career options by utilizing Career Connection as well as the Arts and Sciences Career Services Office. Career Connection focuses on helping students establish a career direction, while the Arts and Sciences Career Services Office assists students with finding internships—experiences that are essential to testing out the suitability of career fields they are considering.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- A major in Italian consists of no fewer than 30 hours of Italian courses. All courses are organized around academic subject matter (culture, literature, film, linguistics and media).
- The study of grammar and development of the four language skills are incorporated into the courses.
- This does not mean that the explicit study of language is secondary, but rather that it is examined as it emerges through discussions, readings, etc.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 1950 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.