These may include consumer appliances, tools, business machines, furniture, medical equipment, architectural products and transportation devices, to name a few.
Students develop understanding of manufacturing and production and learn to analyze systems, circumstances and processes to determine ways in which new products can improve or satisfy users in new ways to meet current and future demands.
At the same time, students are taught sustainable design principles by faculty who model practices that contribute to the creation of healthy environments.
Students majoring in Industrial Design program at The Ohio State University will achieve the following learning outcomes.
Students will gain a lifelong desire and ability to create new knowledge and foster problem-solving skills through creativity and the application of a creative process.
- Students will apply design thinking and the design process in all studio projects.
- Students will develop the ability to design and develop ideas for new products, spaces and/or interfaces that may not have existed before.
- Students will be able to apply design and creative skills learned in one studio to problems encountered in the new context of a successive studio.
Students will develop an understanding of a human-centered focus on design and research.
- Students will be able to conduct and complete user research studies for all studio projects.
- Students will create designed artifacts that will be evaluated by design professionals and potential users.
Students will prepare for a successful career in the design profession.
- Students will prepare a portfolio that documents their creative work throughout the undergraduate program.
- Students will develop the skills of presenting themselves and their design competencies in a professional practice context.
Students graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Design take positions with design consulting offices, corporate design departments and government design agencies and work on consumer and industrial products, building and equipment systems, and public and corporate communication projects.
Students in industrial design can find employment opportunities with large corporations, industry or small industrial design consulting firms.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Design Fundamentals
- Visual Principles
- Introduction to Design Practice
- Introduction to Industrial Design
- Design Research
- Visual Strategies for Industrial Design
- Design Media
- Materials and Processes
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial Design View 75 other Masters in Industrial Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.