For students not able to build language study into their programs, courses are offered in literature, culture and film with readings and lectures in English. In addition, the department offers instruction in Scandinavian studies, Swedish and Yiddish.
Germany's economy is the fourth largest in the world. German companies and institutions are leaders in science, technology and the arts. And Germany is a political leader in Europe. For these reasons and more, being able to speak German can open doors to jobs in a number of fields.
The flexibility of the German program from The Ohio State University makes it easy to combine a second major with German, such as history, engineering, international studies, journalism, political science, business or another foreign language.
Many graduates use their liberal arts preparation as a stepping stone to advanced study or professional preparation in fields such as foreign service, medicine, law, international business and education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
All undergraduate students majoring in German must complete the following:
- elementary, intermediate and advanced German (or equivalent)
- German 2350: Introduction to German Studies
- 21 credit hours selected from a list of approved courses in German language, linguistics, culture and history
Undergraduates with special interests, such as translation, business or current events, will find those interests reflected in the department’s course offerings.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 1950 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.