Every year research-based strategies for control of insect-borne diseases save millions of lives. Pollination by honey bees and other insects ensures the availability of fruits and vegetables in our diets, and insect communities are important indicators of environmental quality and their study advances ecosystem restoration and management.
While most species are beneficial, insect pests account for more deaths than all wars combined, destroy food and fiber, and damage homes and other structures. It’s no wonder that entomologists, biomedical researchers, environmental scientists and evolutionary biologists study insects to understand the biological world, improve the human condition and protect the environment.
Entomology majors graduate with many career options. Employers report immediate and longer-term needs for well-trained entomologists. Entomology majors are well prepared for graduate, medical and veterinary schools, as well as careers in plant health management, public health (including the armed forces), research laboratories, university extension services, agrochemical industries, crop consulting, environmental education, natural resource protection and conservation, and government agencies. Students who earn master’s degrees find many specialized opportunities in these same areas.
For students aspiring to a professional degree in K-12 education, medicine or veterinary medicine, a Entomology program from The Ohio State University. provides an excellent background and favorable reception from graduate schools. Entomologists who desire careers as research scientists or college professors pursue a doctorate. Many graduate students in entomology programs serve as research and teaching assistants as part of their training and receive stipends, tuition and other benefits that support all or most of their living and educational expenses while in graduate school.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The entomology major couples a strong background in the biological sciences with in-depth study of insect biology and applied entomology. Students learn insect physiology, behavior, ecology, taxonomy and toxicology, as well as beekeeping, veterinary and public health entomology, sustainable agriculture, and integrated pest management in agricultural, forest and urban environments.
- Faculty are world class scientists engaged in cutting edge research who also teach entomology courses, and smaller class sizes enable them to provide individual attention to students.
- Entomology students enjoy a high degree of flexibility in shaping their program, and typically choose one of two tracks: (1) applied pest management or (2) pre-graduate, pre-medical or pre-veterinary studies.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnimal Sciences View 218 other Masters in Animal Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.