They study 1984 and Halo, the rhetoric of human rights and the speeches of Barack Obama and Donald Trump. They write sonnets and short stories. They write research papers. They write grant proposals. They publish blog posts. They produce videos for YouTube and songs for SoundCloud, and they examine the cultural impact of those platforms. They organize technical reports and social media campaigns. They understand the industrial revolution and new media technologies. They are persuasive speakers, empathetic listeners, critical readers, and sophisticated writers. They are trained in critical thinking and effective communication. Most importantly, they are prepared to thrive in the fast-paced, ever-changing professional environments of the 21st century.
Having honed their writing and critical thinking skills and their ability to construct persuasive arguments based on evidence, majors of the English program from The Ohio State University are prepared for entry-level jobs in a wide variety of fields including business, communications, finance, human resources, journalism, marketing, publishing, sales and technology. In addition, they often find employment with non-profit organizations or government agencies, and many go on to attend law school, medical school or business school.
There are thousands of Ohio State English alumni living and working around the world. They are writers, editors, entrepreneurs, marketers, lawyers, doctors, bloggers, photographers, publicists, professors, financial advisors, human resource managers, business owners, IT specialists, CEOs, and more.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Literature, Film and Popular Culture Studies
- Professional Writing, Rhetoric and Literacy
- Creative Writing: Fiction, Nonfiction and Poetry
- Folklore Studies
- English Pre-Education
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 2808 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.