The structure and content of the Education - World Language Education program at The Ohio State University is designed to assist students in developing the knowledge, skills and disposition needed to become effective leaders and advocates for social justice in the field of education. Each program is led by world-renowned faculty, staff and graduate associates who oversee the progress of each individual pre-service teacher as he or she progresses through an intense program of study. Upon completion of the program, students will obtain initial licensure to teach either French or Spanish for grades K–12.
Through their course and field work, students will:
- Use their understanding of children’s and adolescents’ characteristics and needs and of multiple interacting influences on children’s and adolescents’ development and learning to create environments that are healthy, respectful, supportive, and challenging for all children and adolescents.
- Know about, understand and value the importance and complex characteristics of children’s and adolescents’ families and communities.
- Know about and understand the goals, benefits and uses of assessment.
- Integrate their understanding of and relationships with children/adolescents and families; their understanding of developmentally effective approaches to teaching and learning; and their knowledge of academic disciplines to design, implement and evaluate experiences that promote positive development and learning for all children and adolescents.
- Identify and conduct themselves as members of the foreign language teaching profession.
Graduates of the foreign language education program may seek either French or Spanish teaching positions in K–12 public and private schools not only to teach a second language, but also to introduce student to world cultures. Since the state of Ohio has high standards for teacher preparation, graduates could potentially be hired as teachers anywhere in the United States. Many opportunities also exist within the community and public sector as translators or tutors.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The components of this major have been designed to meet state and national standards, licensure requirements and Ohio State's General Education requirements. Students who have an elementary fluency in the language are not likely to meet the fluency level required for admission into the program.
- The curriculum provides students with extensive opportunities for using the target language (French or Spanish) in combination with experiences that draw upon the cultures and texts of French- or Spanish-speaking communities. In pre-major courses, students experience, learn and reflect on effective pedagogy.
- This pathway emphasizes disciplinary content knowledge, educational foundations courses and pedagogy, and methods courses that focus on early exposure to child/adolescent development and psychological and social foundations of education.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Languages Teaching View 1950 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.