An accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Dance, the Department of Dance offers students rigorous training at the intersection of movement practice, creative activity and theoretical inquiry. Students in the dance program earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) and receive a comprehensive education across the field of contemporary dance with a focus on the dancing experience.
Students majoring in Dance at The Ohio State University engage in real-world experiences and utilize opportunities for performing, making and leading their own education.
Students will have a solid foundation in a breadth of contemporary dance techniques.
- Upon graduation, students will exhibit an advanced degree of proficiency in the contemporary dance techniques taught in the department.
- Students will be able to translate technical proficiency from the studio to a variety of contexts.
Students will be able to synthesize skills and knowledge from the department’s diverse curricular areas including choreography, history, education, movement analysis, creative technologies and performance.
- Students will accumulate skills and knowledge attained throughout their course work.
- Students will exhibit intermediate/advanced proficiency in movement practice, creative process and theoretical inquiry.
Students will be able to give and receive well-considered verbal discussion and feedback regarding creative and scholarly assignments and projects.
- Students will be able to produce written analysis of their own work and the work of others in historical and contemporary settings.
Graduates of the Dance program from The Ohio State University are young artists and entrepreneurs who creatively and consciously forge their own paths of professional success. They create dance companies and collectives and teach in schools, studios and universities. Dance graduates write books, make films, document dance traditions and engage in cultural diplomacy.
Dance majors are prepared to enter the dance profession and industry, nonprofit or private sectors as performers, choreographers, creative technology artists, educators, production and lighting designers, arts administrators, health science professionals, somatic practitioners, movement analysts, historians, and entrepreneurs.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Movement practice
- Movement analysis
- Creative technology
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 1234 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT)
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
- Application at the Department of Dance Audition
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.