Data analytics applies fundamental scientific principles to the analysis of large, complex data sets. This rapidly growing field needs practitioners with expertise that cuts across core disciplines of computer science, mathematics and statistics and with highly developed critical-thinking, problem-solving and communication skills.
Data analytics includes the set of skills necessary to identify how to manage, represent and manipulate large and complex data stores; how to abstract, model and effectively analyze such data; and how to create quantitative visual cues to help explain and make informed decisions from those data. By making sense of a vast information landscape, data analytics has the potential to—and is already starting to—transform the way we understand and interact with the world.
A student graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in data analytics will demonstrate:
- An understanding of and ability to apply computer science principles relating to data representation, retrieval, programming and analysis of big data
- An understanding of and ability to apply statistical methods, models and concepts to data analysis and to draw conclusions supported by data
- Critical thinking skills associated with problem identification, problem solving and decision making
- The ability to apply knowledge gained from one area to problems and data in another
- The ability to communicate findings and their implications and to apply them effectively in organizational settings
Although it is a relatively new field, data science and analytics has been described by the Harvard Business Review as the “sexiest job of the 21st century.” A major in data analytics will prepare students to work in a wide range of fields. Companies both locally and nationally are actively recruiting employees who have core and specialized skills in data analytics. The Data Analytics programe is offered by the from The Ohio State University
Career prospects in data analytics are very promising. A broad analysis of labor statistics, census data and economic indicators by McKinsey & Company has shown that data analysis is now an integral business function and important factor for production in nearly every segment of the economy and that there will be a large shortage of prospective employees with data-analytic skills in the near term.
Upon graduation, 75% of students in the data analytics major have at least one job offer, and 12% plan to attend graduate school. Companies hiring data analytics graduates include Accenture, Cardinal Health, Columbus Blue Jackets, Ford, Infoverity, JPMorgan Chase, Nationwide Children's Hospital, PwC and Zillow.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Calculus and linear algebra
- Data mining and statistical learning
- Database design and cloud computing
- Probability and statistical inference
- Regression modeling and statistical decision making
- Software design and programming
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBusiness Intelligence & Analytics Data Science & Big Data View 146 other Masters in Data Science & Big Data in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.