Major subfields include the topics of history, politics, philosophy, art, architecture, archaeology, science, medicine, technology, religion, mythology, magic, law, war, gender and sexuality in Greek and Roman cultures and their legacies.
The Department of Classics encourages participation in study abroad programs such as those offered by College Year in Athens, the Modern Greek Studies Association and the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies in Rome. The department also offers courses that include short-term study abroad programs to Greece and Italy.
Graduates in Classics program from The Ohio State University find their marketable skills considerably enhanced by their humanities education. A major in classics, Greek or Latin, properly coordinated with a minor in some other subject and relevant specialized course work, provides excellent preparation for a career in medicine, business, law, politics, government, publishing and many other areas of employment. Students can also go on to earn advanced degrees in fields such as Latin, Greek and Latin literature, ancient philosphy, ancient history and archaeology.
Recent graduates have found jobs as media planners and publishers, and in roles with nonprofit and community organizations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Classics is divided into four areas of concentration.
- Classical Humanities
- Classical Greek
- Greek and Latin
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeneral Studies & Classics View 506 other Masters in General Studies & Classics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.