Students studying Chinese major from The Ohio State University progress from an elementary working knowledge of the language to oral and written fluency. Once students are familiar with basic patterns of pronunciation and language structure, they are introduced gradually to the unique writing system of the language. The rich body of Chinese literature is first studied in English translation; as students progress in the major and develop their language skills, they continue their readings in Chinese.
Chinese is applicable in a variety of settings in the United States and abroad. Mastery of Chinese allows students to consider careers in such fields as education, government, international trade, banking, print or electronic media, tourism, or art. Many employers are eager to hire graduates who are fluent in Chinese because their businesses interact with Chinese speakers.
Careers in which Chinese is the primary emphasis include teaching Chinese at all levels; interpreting and translating for the United Nations, government, or for private and public organizations; and a variety of positions in the travel and tourism industry at home or abroad such as flight attendant, travel agent and tour guide.
Careers in which proficiency in Chinese is a good secondary tool include banking and finance, business, sales, export purchasing, foreign market analysis, journalism, foreign correspondence, science and research, library science, hotel management, publishing, radio broadcasting, and teaching English in China to employees in corporations abroad.
All who study Chinese find that the experience sharpens their understanding of language in general and makes them more attentive to nuance in their native languages, thus helping them exercise a greater amount of control over their own lives, no matter what their eventual fields of interest or occupations.
Ohio State graduates with Chinese language majors have chosen jobs such as buyer for Unishops Inc., trade specialist for the Ohio Department of Development, international traffic analyst for Firestone Tire and Rubber, and president of Imex International Inc.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Chinese majors are required to design their programs from courses in language, culture, literature and linguistics. Majors must complete at least 33 credit hours in Chinese and Chinese-related work. Programs should be planned in consultation with an academic advisor assigned by the undergraduate studies director.
- Prerequisite courses include Chinese 1101 through 1103 or 2141 and Chinese 2231 or 2232. These courses do not apply toward the major. Additional electives and general education requirements totaling 121 hours are required by the College of Arts and Sciences for graduation.
- Success in Chinese requires a commitment to daily preparation and a willingness on the part of the student to use the opportunities provided in class to use the language. In addition, students should begin considering and planning for a study abroad program as soon as they have decided to major in Chinese.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 871 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.