Students pursuing this major should have a strong interest in research and human disease and should enjoy course work in subjects such as biology, chemistry, physics, anatomy and physiology.
- be prepared for success in a professional or graduate program in the health sciences. The biomedical science major serves as an excellent undergraduate preparation for graduate study in non-health areas, such as, business, engineering, or law.
- possess the motivation to pursue graduate/professional education in biomedical research and/or the health sciences and be a leader in improving the nation’s healthcare delivery system.
- have the ability to acquire and evaluate information from a wide data source as it relates to complex problems.
- have the ability to think critically, communicate effectively, work collaboratively, and function comfortably in various cultural, political, and social environments within the context of healthcare and the biomedical sciences.
- be sensitive to the humanistic aspects of healthcare and healthcare- related services.
- possess knowledge and skills that are fundamental to the formulation, conduct, and reporting of clinical or basic science research.
- appreciate and value the importance of research and the advancement of knowledge for the progress of society.
- adapt to challenges and opportunities by bringing a wide knowledge base to problem solving tasks, and who integrate life-long learning into all phases of life.
- have a knowledge of policy issues related to healthcare and the interaction of social, political, and environmental factors that impact the field.
- be prepared to enter the workforce in areas such as pharmaceutical sales, forensic science labs, genetics labs, and other entry-level lab positions.
The Biomedical Science major at The Ohio State University is designed to strongly prepare students for graduate and professional programs in areas such as biomedical research, medicine and other areas of health care.
Currently, about 50 percent of biomedical science graduates go on to medical school, 25 percent go on to pursue a PhD or a joint MD/PhD, and 25 percent pursue other graduate programs (e.g., dentistry, physician assistant, optometry, public health). Placement into graduate and professional programs for biomedical science alumni is nearly 100 percent.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
In addition to General Education courses, the biomedical science major requires the following:
- traditional pre-med courses in biology, chemistry, organic chemistry and physics
- advanced science electives in areas such as anatomy, physiology and biochemistry
- courses in biomedical science, including an extensive research experience
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiomedicine Biochemistry Genetics View 188 other Masters in Biomedicine in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT)
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
- A separate online application to the biomedical science major
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.