Anthropology is the study of the biology, prehistory and culture of human society in a worldwide setting. Anthropologists study people from all times and all places. Anthropology focuses on human and non-human primate evolution by studying the behavior of living and extinct human and primate groups (physical anthropology). It looks at cultural history and past lifeways and studies how human societies have changed from ancient to modern times (archaeology). It also examines the behavior of living societies in order to understand differences in contemporary cultures (cultural anthropology and linguistic anthropology). This includes the study of topics such as language, kinship, religion, ecology, urbanism, and culture and personality.
One of two anthropology major programs offered by the college, the anthropological sciences major leads to a Bachelor of Science degree and provides an intensive foundation in empirically oriented evolutionary anthropology.
A variety of employment opportunities exist for a graduate with an anthropology degree, including contract or government archaeologist, admissions counselor, museum curator, mental health consultant, social service worker, laboratory assistant, foreign service agent, international business associate or forensic anthropologist. Graduates in Anthropological Sciences major from The Ohio State University have found employment in a range of careers in business, health professions, engineering, government, law, education, social services and museums.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Introduction to Physical Anthropology
- World Prehistory
- Peoples and Cultures
- Hunters and Gatherers
- Fundamentals of Archaeology
- Physical anthropology
- Human Evolution
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology View 612 other Masters in Anthropology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.