Practitioners of actuarial science, called actuaries, work in the professional areas of life and health insurance, property and casualty insurance, and public and private pension and benefit plans.
The Actuarial Science programme at The Ohio State University will develop and refine a student's analytical skills while also preparing for a career in the field of risk assessment and management.
An actuary is likely to work for an insurance company, an actuarial or employee benefit consulting firm, a very large accounting firm or corporation, or a government agency. In the United States and Canada, success on professional actuarial examinations, offered by various professional actuarial organizations, is central to career advancement. A typical actuary takes two or three examinations while still a college student and continues with the examinations through the first five to ten years of actuarial employment, all the while progressing in his or her career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Major courses are taken in areas including calculus, linear algebra, economics, finance, accounting, probability and statistics, actuarial mathematics, and computer science.
- Not only do the actuarial courses cover the important concepts used by the actuary but the students are well prepared to progress through the actuarial examination process to earn either life and health or property and casualty professional designations.
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics Actuarial Science View 406 other Masters in Applied Mathematics in United States
- Successful completion of university preparatory courses
- High school performance (class rank or GPA), including participation in accelerated programs like Honors, AP and IB; Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for class rank or GPA
- Standardized test score (ACT or SAT); Ohio State does not have minimum requirements for ACT or SAT scores
- Ability and desire to contribute to and engage with a diverse campus community
- Experiences that demonstrate leadership or engaged involvement(e.g., co-curricular activities, work experiences or military service)
- Status as a first-generation university student
- High school performance if adversely affected by physical, mental or learning environment factors
International36430 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 36430 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National33502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 33502 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
In-State11508 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11508 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.