About the Program
Many students in the English program of Rutgers University will make the study of English and American literature the focus of their work, exploring within specialized periods such as the Renaissance or the 19th century, concentrating on genre courses in fiction, poetry, or drama, or single author courses such as Shakespeare, Milton, and Joyce.
Students choosing to study world literature in translation will find among our offerings new courses in African, Caribbean, and Asian literature in English. Our department offers courses that intersect with Women's Gender Studies, LGBT Studies, Film Studies, and African-American Studies. There are also opportunities to learn creative writing (prose and poetry), business writing, and writing for the Internet and computers.
The Rutgers name is recognized everywhere, and a Rutgers degree makes a great first impression. We’ve built our academic reputation on solid accomplishments:
- Rutgers is a member—so are Harvard, Yale, and Berkeley—of the prestigious Association of American Universities, the 61 leading research universities in North America.
- More than 175 Rutgers research centers support pioneering work in stem cells, climate change, DNA analysis, and more.
- Rutgers’ international reputation draws top students from more than 130 countries and all 50 states.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Shakespeare for the 21st Century
- Literature and Medicine
- Children’s Literature
- Myth and Literature
- Literary Masterpieces
- Love Stories Old and New
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 2828 other Bachelors in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online Application
- A $70 non-refundable application fee is required
- Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR)
- Due to the uncertainty of future test dates and availability of standardized tests, Rutgers will make submission of SAT and ACT test scores optional
- English Proficiency Examination Requirements
- Letters of recommendation are not used for admissions consideration
International29736 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14868 USD per semester during 48 months.
National29736 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14868 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State12536 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6268 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Newark
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.