About the Program
English classes are typically small in size, allowing for personal interactions with top-notch faculty. Students in the English program of Rutgers University learn how to think critically, read actively, and write persuasively. Recent surveys indicate that majoring in English gives students a distinct advantage on the job market (“Why English Majors Are the Hot New Hires”). In addition to their coursework, Rutgers–Camden students studying English have the opportunity to learn outside of the classroom through the department’s innovative Writing and Design Lab, the Writers House reading series, and the Digital Studies Center. The department also encourages students to participate in civic engagement, study abroad, and other experiential learning activities that allow students to put theory into practice.
Undergraduate studies in English at Rutgers University–Camden holds the mission of preparing students for the complex, changing, and globalized world of the twenty-first century by fostering in them the ability to:
- Critically interpret and analyze a wide range of literary texts from various historical periods in the Anglo-American tradition as well as from other cultures
- Develop the skills of textual analysis based on close reading and an understanding of the formal, aesthetic, and rhetorical properties of a literary work
- Situate a text in its historical-cultural contexts.
- Understand the major cultural, intellectual, and literary movements of the past and the ways in which they have shaped our present thinking
- Communicate ideas cogently, articulately, and concisely in written, oral, visual, and digital presentations
- Understand, analyze, synthesize, evaluate, and apply various forms of knowledge and diverse perspectives
- Attain competence in research skills and tools
- Acquire a broad awareness of various critical theories and approaches.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- English Studies
- American Literature
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 2828 other Bachelors in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online Application
- A $70 non-refundable application fee is required
- Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR)
- Due to the uncertainty of future test dates and availability of standardized tests, Rutgers will make submission of SAT and ACT test scores optional
- English Proficiency Examination Requirements
- Letters of recommendation are not used for admissions consideration
International29178 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14589 USD per semester during 48 months.
National29178 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14589 USD per semester during 48 months.
In-State12536 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6268 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for Camden
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.