Sociology encompasses a wide range of topics including family dynamics, social deviance and crime, government policies, social and demographic trends, and the impact of contemporary issues on businesses, corporations, schools and other public and private institutions.
The mission of the Department of Sociology & Rural Studies is to provide students with the theoretical and substantive knowledge to participate as skilled professionals within the institutions and organizations that shape our increasingly diverse and global society.
Students of the Sociology course at South Dakota State University receive a broad liberal arts education that will qualify them for many different kinds of occupations, working in business, government, and the nonprofit sectors.
Sociology majors manage programs and people, provide services in a variety of settings, analyze and collect data, and pursue careers in law enforcement and victim services. The major offers flexibility and can easily be added to another major.
- Urban and regional planners
- Social science researcher
- Community outreach coordinator
- Detectives and criminal investigators
- Research/data analysis
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Investigating the Social World
- Research Methods
- Sociological Theory
- Service Learning
- Independent Study
- Field Experience
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSociology Public Administration Political Science View 1088 other Masters in Political Science in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Completed online application Note: New and transferring international (F-1 visa) undergraduate students should be at least 17 years of age by the time they begin their studies at SDSU.
- Grade Point Average (GPA)
New undergraduate students should have the equivalent of a 2.6 GPA on a 4.0 scale in the US
Transfer students who have completed 30 or more credits at another US college or university should have a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Academic Records
- English Language Proficiency
- All new undergraduate students (not transfer students) are required to provide proof of their English language proficiency. Scores must be submitted within two years of taking the test. Students from certain countries and based on their educational background may not have to submit scores.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International372 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 372 USD per credit and a duration of 48 months.
National372 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 372 USD per credit and a duration of 48 months.
In-State257 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 257 USD per credit and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.