In today’s global economy, the ability to speak Spanish is an extremely valuable skill, both in the United States and abroad: Spanish is spoken in 28 countries by over 740 million people, and the US in now the second largest Spanish-speaking country in the world.
In this program, you will learn to effectively speak, read and write in Spanish, with courses in conversation, grammar, reading comprehension, culture and literature. Our curriculum will also help you develop what employers call desirable “soft skills” such as empathy, creativity, mental flexibility, critical thinking, and intercultural communication strategies.
To further advance your Spanish language and cultural competence and to prepare for a teaching career either in the US or abroad, you can take advantage of our summer-, semester-, and year-long study abroad opportunities throughout Spain and Latin America. The Spanish major offers great flexibility and can easily be added to another major.
This Spanish - Teaching specialization at South Dakota State University will be a good fit if you:
- Want to gain proficiency in the Spanish language
- Are interested in learning and teaching about cultures that speak Spanish
- Enjoy being in a classroom environment
- Want to engage with diversity
- Want to work in the US or abroad teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) or Spanish as a Foreign Language
- Spanish teacher
- English as a second language teacher
- Tourism director
- Community outreach for non-profit organizations
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Intermediate Spanish
- Practical Language Skills
- Reading and Writing for Communication
- Spanish for the Health Professions
- Spanish for Business Communication
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Teaching View 2809 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Completed online application Note: New and transferring international (F-1 visa) undergraduate students should be at least 17 years of age by the time they begin their studies at SDSU.
- Grade Point Average (GPA)
New undergraduate students should have the equivalent of a 2.6 GPA on a 4.0 scale in the US
Transfer students who have completed 30 or more credits at another US college or university should have a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Academic Records
- English Language Proficiency
- All new undergraduate students (not transfer students) are required to provide proof of their English language proficiency. Scores must be submitted within two years of taking the test. Students from certain countries and based on their educational background may not have to submit scores.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International372 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 372 USD per credit and a duration of 48 months.
National372 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 372 USD per credit and a duration of 48 months.
In-State257 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 257 USD per credit and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.