From parsing the history of television policy to writing for video games, our students get a unique interdisciplinary education in the historical and social background of the study of film, television, and new media. Our outstanding faculty are engaged in innovative research on topics like globalization, gender studies, queer theory, broadcast studies, intellectual history, new media and critical game studies, history of photography, and national cinema approaches to the analysis of Film and Media Studies, and our courses give our students access to this cutting-edge research. In our production and screenwriting courses, students get hands-on experience creating short films, television pilots, webisodes, computer games, and other visual media.
The Film and Media Studies program of the University of California, Irvine (UCI) prepares students for graduate study and professional life in the Film and Media Studies areas. Our students have been admitted to Ph.D. and M.F.A. programs at UCLA, USC, New York University, and the University of Texas at Austin. Film and Media studies majors have gone on to law school and to get Ph.D.s in a variety of fields. Alumni also make careers in all aspects of the entertainment industry, finding work in the film, television, and game industries in Southern California and beyond. Film and Media Studies students find careers in directing, cinematography, editing, journalism, advertising, marketing, and distribution. Our students’ diverse backgrounds have enabled them to work in bilingual or global media outlets. The Department encourages all qualified students to do professional internships.
- Film and Visual Analysis
- Broadcast Media History and Analysis
- New Media and Digital Technologies
- History of Film I: The Silent Era
- Film and Media Theory
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 1002 other Bachelors in Media Studies & Mass Media in United States
- You must receive a 3.0 GPA (3.4 for non-California residents) or higher in the 15 required “a-g” subject courses, with no grade lower than a C.
- UCI will not consider SAT or ACT scores for admission or scholarship purposes. After enrollment, exams may be used for class placement or some graduation requirements.
- Personal Insight Questions (your personal insight questions should be exactly that – personal. This is your opportunity to tell us about yourself, what matters to you, your hopes, ambitions, life experiences, and inspirations. Key points about the personal insight questions include: freshman applicants choose four out of eight questions to answer, each response is limited to a maximum of 350 words. We encourage you to take your time. Be open, be reflective, and be honest. Your personal insight questions provide context for the rest of your application.)
- English proficiency requirements
International45656 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 45656 USD per year during 48 months.
National45656 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 45656 USD per year during 48 months.
In-State15902 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15902 USD per year during 48 months.
Living costs for Irvine
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.