Through community-based projects ranging from wetlands restoration and conservation planning to analyses of regional air and water pollution, students gain practical experience and make a positive difference while they are still in school. Past students in conservation and restoration have gone on to graduate school and work in government agencies, consulting firms and nonprofits.
CRS Learning Objectives
Engage in Conservation and Restoration Science
- Apply scientific understanding to the concepts of biological diversity, sustainability, ecological integrity and the socio-political systems with which they interact.
- Recognize the important roles of indigenous knowledge and values in understanding and managing natural systems.
- Acquire first-hand knowledge of regional ecosystems and the human communities dependent on them to enable meaningful engagement in local conservation and restoration activities.
- Collect and analyze environmental data to address questions and assess impacts, identify management options, and identify new research directions.
- Critically evaluate alternative responses to environmental problems, such as habitat change, biodiversity loss, and climate change, and advance solutions that enhance resilience, equity and sustainability.
- Prepare for careers in conservation and restoration in academic, governmental, non-profit, and private sectors.
- Learn data collection methods and technologies, such as field ecology methods, geo-technologies such as GIS and remote sensing, and ecosystem modeling for research projects, investigations, and surveys.
- Understand the philosophical and scientific underpinnings of conservation and restoration science, including its strengths, limitations, and assumptions.
Promote equity and inclusion
- Critically reflect on the social drivers of environmental problems and environmental inequity.
- Build environmental consciousness and promote ethical human intervention for environmental and human sustainability.
- Apply an understanding of ethics, power, and intergenerational equity in conservation and restoration decision-making.
Communicate and collaborate with others
- Use both written and oral communication to effectively communicate the issues, questions, findings, and body of knowledge of conservation and restoration science to peers and the public, and to produce effective visual representations of data that articulate knowledge of conservation and restoration science.
- Constructively work with others in partnership and shared leadership to achieve project goals.
- Interact and communicate with others in disciplines outside of conservation and restoration science and beyond academia to produce new knowledge and understanding needed to address the interdisciplinary and multi-dimensional environmental issues of the future.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Interdisciplinary Inquiry
- Science Methods and Practice
- Ecology and the Environment
- Conservation Biology
- Watershed Ecology and Management
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiodiversity & Conservation Ecology Environmental Sciences View 263 other Masters in Ecology in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Minimum 2.0 GPA in Secondary-level Coursework (UW Grading System information).
- College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADR).
- Proof of English Proficiency Requirement(s).
- The UW Bothell Office of Admissions provides the service of international transcript evaluations. Third-party evaluations will not be accepted.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International26012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13006 USD per semester and a duration of 48 months.
National26012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13006 USD per semester and a duration of 48 months.
In-State7766 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3883 USD per semester and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.