To recognize a good story, to critique, help shape, realize and transform it, requires a background in the history of narrative, crosscultural and contemporary models, and an understanding of the broader context of popular culture.
Narrative Studies assumes that an effective narrative will be adapted from the medium in which it first appears as new media become available. To prepare University of Southern California students for a future in which the platform is likely to change, the Bachelor of Arts in Narrative Studies allows students to study across the current platforms while concentrating on the techniques of effective construction common to them all.In so doing, it draws upon course work from several schools of art but finds its home in the humanities. To help develop the flexibility necessary to understand how stories change across platforms, students are expected to complete at least three courses in literary and three courses in performance-based media. The remaining three courses may be chosen to reflect the student's personal preference and initial career aspirations.MDA 490x Directed Research or MDA 494 Directed Creative Project are capstone experiences: Students work under the guidance of a faculty member in a relevant discipline or professional field, which may include fulltime faculty from the college or the participating schools of the arts. Projects intended for the stage should be done under the direction of School of Dramatic Arts faculty.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Masterpieces and Masterminds: Literature and Thought
- Introduction to Cinema
- Introduction to Television and Video
- Introduction to Interactive Entertainment
- English Literature to 1800
- English Literature since 1800
- American Literature
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies View 2808 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official Test Scores
- Transcripts: First-year applicants should submit official transcripts of all high school and college coursework completed.
- Letter(s) of Recommendation: One letter is required from either your school counselor or a teacher from your school. Applicants to the School of Cinematic Arts must submit three letters of recommendation.
- Portfolio, resumé and/or additional writing samples: if required by major. Performance majors may also require auditions. Refer to the Additional Application Requirements section, below, for more information.
- Submit your fall grades (when available)
International57256 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 57256 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National57256 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 57256 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.