Top Ten Reasons to Major or Minor in Earth Sciences at University of Southern California
- Given a choice of equally good candidates, med schools prefer students who have a science major other than biology
- Your bones are made of minerals. Mineral deposits on your teeth and in your organs impact your health. Guess which science studies minerals?
- Some pre-meds are fascinated with the study of ‘the body’. Consider a major in which anatomy, physiology, ecology are all studied (paleontology).
- A med school wants to know about you as a reliable and dedicated student. Nearly all Earth Science majors know ES faculty well enough to get detailed and personal letters of recommendation
- Med school admissions are touting the ‘well rounded’, ‘globally aware’, and ‘big thinker’ applicant. Recent ES undergrads have had research experiences in Morocco, Spain, Indonesia, Argentina, Peru, Sierras, Cascades…
- Do you think imaging (MRI, x-ray, etc.) is important in the health fields? Do you know about tomography and seismic wave function analysis?
- The greatest human issue facing students today involves the impacts of climate change. Wouldn’t it make sense for a pre-health major to learn deeply about climate change?
- Making an important measurement, understanding what that measurement means, I sure hope people in the medical field have these skills. Earth Scientists make a lot of sophisticated chemical measurements and learn these skills.
- Many of the core Earth Science prerequisites (Chemistry, Physics, etc.) overlap with courses required for med school.
- Earth Science teaches a systems level approach, considering all aspects and scales, much like diagnosing and treating illness in the human body
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- General Chemistry
- Fundamental Principles of Calculus
- General Biology: Organismal Biology and Evolution
- Physics for the Life Sciences
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences View 332 other Masters in Earth Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Official Test Scores
- Transcripts: First-year applicants should submit official transcripts of all high school and college coursework completed.
- Letter(s) of Recommendation: One letter is required from either your school counselor or a teacher from your school. Applicants to the School of Cinematic Arts must submit three letters of recommendation.
- Portfolio, resumé and/or additional writing samples: if required by major. Performance majors may also require auditions. Refer to the Additional Application Requirements section, below, for more information.
- Submit your fall grades (when available)
International57256 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 57256 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National57256 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 57256 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.