Highly respected artists, designers, and scholars from fields such as Art, Visual Studies, Film, and Philosophy serve as the teachers and mentors to students who choose to embark in this critical inquiry.
New York City's Chelsea neighborhood is the ideal location from which you will access freelance artists, museums, nonprofit, and corporate organizations. These vital connections will serve as the primary resources to support your exploration of the historical and contemporary societal and cultural perspectives that inform and motivate artists and designers to create.
The program places significant focus on helping you explore, deepen and enhance your making, application, and methodological skills so you are able to both pursue your artistic and intellectual passions resulting in a portfolio of experiences and work that will allow you to succeed in a career or advanced degree.
More About the Department
As a student in the Visual and Critical Studies at School of Visual Arts you'll have the opportunity to...
- gain an in-depth understanding of visual studies, including art and design theory, as well as historical and contemporary discussions about art and criticism
- explore the intersection between an artist or designers vision and the resulting output, and the historical or contemporary interpretative constructs that informed the work and those who interact with it
- express your ideas through your artistic practices as well as with high impact writing and discussion
You'll hone your making skills with studio courses while enhancing that development by taking courses from an internationally renowned group of artist-scholars in history, art history, literature, music, and philosophy. You'll get the chance to explore a diversity of media, including painting, sculpture, photography, animation, film, graphic design, digital arts, and fibers, preparing you for future pursuits in the exciting and always evolving art and design industry. Apply today and begin your journey to becoming a practicing artist, designer, educator, or leader.
- Visuality and Modern Art
- Political History of the Modern World: 18th and 19th Centuries
- Modern Philosophy: 18th and 19th Centuries
- Lens Arts
- Digital Imaging One
- History of the Image
- Reading, Thinking, Writing
- Space, Shapes and Techniques
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 2506 other Bachelors in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application online
- Application Fee
- Statement Of Intent
- Portfolio -15-20 images or a Film Reel/2-Part Film Essay
- High School Transcripts
- Declaration and Verification of Finances
- Recommendation Letters
International43400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21700 USD per semester during 48 months.
National43400 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21700 USD per semester during 48 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.